>Mummum’s tea brack is one of my mother’s specialities. She is a plain cook but a wonderful baker. This traditional Irish cake is not too sweet and – unsurprisingly – uses tea to moisten it. It would often be served sliced like bread and buttered.
1 lb of sultanas or raisins
1 cup of cold tea
3/4 lb flour
1. Steep fruit in tea for at least one hour (preferably overnight).
2. Add egg and swirl around.
3. Sieve in flour and mix well.
4. Pour into 9 inch square tin.
5. Put in oven in middle shelf at Gas Mark 4 for 45 minutes.
6. Cover with tin foil and cook for a further 45 minutes and Gas Mark 3.
7. Test with a knife to make sure centre is cooked.