Another one of Vicki’s wonderful gluten-free creations.
3 cups gluten free plain flour
1½ teaspoons salt
2 tsp white sugar
1 cup hot water
1½ cups milk
14g yeast (often 2 sachets dried yeast required)
Glaze – spray oil
1. Heat oven to 180 celsius.
2. Grease a large loaf pan and line with baking paper (6cm deep, 13x23cm).
3. Sift flour, salt and sugar into a bowl and mix well together. Make a well in the centre.
4. Mix the hot water and milk together and test with a finger to ensure lukewarm. If not, set aside until lukewarm.
5. When lukewarm, sprinkle over the yeast and mix.
6. Pour into the well in the flour and mix well.
7. Spread the batter in the loaf pan and smooth the top.
8. Cover with a tea towel and sit somewhere warm to rise for 30 to 35 minutes.
9. Glaze and bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
10. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then cool on a rack.
- This can also make bread rolls. Spread batter in a muffin tin or muffin patty cases, rise for 20 minutes and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Can be flavoured – Cheese and Herb for example – ½ cup finely grated tasty cheese and 1 heaped tblsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley and chives.
- As it has no preservatives, the bread is best refrigerated or frozen. Recommend slicing first before freezing and warm by toasting or heating in the oven.